Monday, June 25, 2012

Summary of the ROV1 project.



After this weekend of test diving I feel that i can conclude my first attempt to make a simple ROV.

Here is a summary of the process: (Links lead to blog posts/photos about each topic)




ROV1 homemade by DZL, from oz2cpu on Vimeo.

Future of the project:

After using several cameras it has become clear that a single fixed focus wide angle camera gives the best result. I plan to hack one of the popular GoPro cameras so it can be remote controlled and provide a live video feed.

The camera will be mounted on a pan/tilt unit inside the ROV for better coverage.

An IMU and pressure sensor will be installed for closed loop control and navigation.
Side thrusters may be installed for side to side control and drift compensation.

Many more posts will appear here over the summer as the project progresses.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! I am so glad to have found this blog--I really like the design of your underwater housing. A similar design I have seen that uses mechanical tightening to form the seal (vs adhesives) is on SubmarineBoat's website, via his page on "Hydrophone and Underwater Voice Communications".

    ()

    I look forward to seeing more posts about your ROV!

    ReplyDelete